Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Life Without Facebook

Hi, My name is Jessica and I am addicted to Facebook.
If you know me, like at all, you know that I practically live on Facebook. I keep it open all the time while I'm at work, it's on my phone, and yes it's usually one of the first things I check in the morning. Those damn notifications get me into trouble, because they drive me batty and I HAVE to check them, just so the little reminder will go away. I am the same way with email notifications, which is good for my students/colleagues because I reply very quickly - but it can be very bad too.

Recently I watched a show that brought up a good point about social media. Back in days before computers, we had this thing called a community. We kept in touch better, you had to pick up the phone to call your friends or actually go out for coffee to catch up. We weren't scared of going outside because there were more people outside and we watched out for each other. Now I'm not saying that we don't do these things now, but you have to admit that it is less common.

I took a break from Facebook for almost 2 weeks in August and discovered that I really don't miss too much if I'm not on there. Since then, I've kind of slipped back into my obsession - but at least I've taken the notifications off of my phone. I don't need to see them 24/7. I am getting to the point where I feel like another break is in order - so that may be happening soon. We'll see...

What's one thing that you feel like you need to take a break from?

Jessy

No comments:

Post a Comment