Sunday, August 5, 2012

Remembering Mom-Mom




Last week on August 1st, marked 5 years since my grandma, Mom-Mom, passed away. It is really hard for me to believe that it has already been five years, but then sometimes it feels like longer that that too. I felt bad that I didn't post something about her on August 1st but life happens. I did write a journal entry for her tho. :)

For those of you who don't know, I named Mom-mom. She was my mom's mom so it was a fitting name for her. After I coined her name, it stuck and everyone called her Mom-Mom, whether they were her grand-kids or not. LOL I have some simple thoughts and memories that I would like to share about Mom-Mom.

She was a woman who loved cats, I must have inherited that trait from her.

She was a bargain shopper and taught my mom and I everything we know. Whenever we would go shopping at a thrift store and got a parking place right up front she thought it was a good omen and that we were going to find really good deals that day. I still see those close parking spots as a good omens.

She loved to have people play with her hair. It was kinda funny, maybe gross to some, but she used to have me sit on the back of her couch and pluck out gray hairs. LOL

She must have loved music because a lot of the memories that I have about Mom-mom stem around music. She had a player piano that we would play rolls on and sing along to songs like "Teddy Bear Picnic" and "Great Balls of Fire." Mom-mom also got a music book for her piano. This was a special book that came with stickers for the keys so you didn't have to know the notes in order to play the piano. I got that book out the other day and started flipping through old songs that I remember playing when I was little.

Overall Mom-mom was Spunky, I think that must've been her middle name, Saundra Spunky Gerber. Yep sounds about right! She was funny, silly and a joy to be around. I miss her. I can't wait to see her again someday. Until then, she gets to watch over me and I get to reminisce about all of the great times that we had. :)


Love you Mom-Mom,
Jessy <3


1 comment:

  1. I love her too, and I love you for remembering her so well and bringing her to mind!
    Hugs....
    Mom

    ReplyDelete